Faith & Works
There was an old man who operated a rowboat for ferrying passengers between an island and the mainland. One day a passenger noticed that he had painted on one oar the word “Works,” and on the other oar the word “Faith.” Curiosity led him to ask the meaning of this.
The old man replied, “I will show you,” dropping one oar, rowing only with the oar named “Works.” Of course, the boat just went around in circles. Then he switched oars, picking up “Faith” and dropping “Works.” And the little rowboat went around in circles again-this time in the opposite direction.
After this demonstration, the old man picked up both oars “Faith” and “Works,” and rowing with both oars together swiftly coursed over the water.
He looked at the passenger and said, “You see, that is the way it is in life as well as in rowing a boat. You got to keep both oars in the water, otherwise, you’ll just go in circles.”
Extract of Speech by Thomas Friedman of The New York Times….
“When we were young kids growing up in America, we were told to eat vegetables at dinner and not leave them. Mothers said, ‘think of the starving children in India and finish the dinner.’ And now I tell my children: ‘Finish your math homework. Think of the children in India who would make you starve, if you don’t.'”
If you have been in IT industry too long these are your symptoms:
- U use phrases like “No issues” and “Value addition” in everyday parlance. For e.g. When talking about your doodhwalla, U say, “His milk does zero value addition to my health but he is the only guy around so no issues”
- Ur prime source of entertainment is the forwards send to U by friends whose faces U cant remember.
- U drink more tea or coffee than water.
- U keep trying to shut down ur home computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del (used to lock office comps)
- When ur mobile rings at home, U rush outside to receive the call.
- When U make calls at home, U accidentally dial “0”to get an outside line.
- U haven’t played Solitaire with real cards in years.
- Ur last crush was a girl in HR, ur current crush is the new girl in HR and all ur crushes in the future will be girls in HR.
- U spend the entire day reading forwards, smoking cigarettes, drinking tea/coffee and playing T.T. and then complain about the late working hours.
- Ur important ‘meetings’ usually comprise two or three people max, including yourself.
- U secretly prepare for CAT only to find ur PL sitting behind you at the exam.
- U keep pressing Ctrl+Enter wondering why your gmail is not going.
- U email ur mate who works at the desk next to U.
- As U read this list, U r thinking of sending it to ur friends who are also in IT.
Thoughts I liked
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute.THAT’S relativity.
The brain is a wonderful organ.It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stopuntil you get into theoffice.
The trouble with being punctual is that nobody’s there to appreciate it.
We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those wedon’t like?
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win orlose.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome
Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when he is introuble again.
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers.
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problemsolving.
Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, didn’t know where to shop.
Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk.
Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
Forgive your enemies but remember their names.
The number of people watching you is directly proportional to the stupidityof your action.